What Do You Struggle With?

Introduce yourself to the community, bitch about clients, do as you please...within reason. You can enquire about other forums, other members; you can discuss your day, your jobs, etc.,

Moderator: Shana

MegStewart

What Do You Struggle With?

Post by MegStewart » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:24 am

We were all new to freelancing at one time or another. We've had an influx of new members lately. When I was a new freelancer, I struggled with having confidence in my writing. I now know that many people have the same struggle I did. It helps to know that other people struggle with the same issues you do.

What do you or did you struggle with when it comes to freelancing? Share your experience so others can know they aren't alone!

Shana

Re: What Do You Struggle With?

Post by Shana » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:17 pm

Confidence in writing is a good one. I'm the type of person who always has a bit of doubt hanging out there, but it really didn't take me long to overcome that. All I had to do was surf the internet for a few months, and briefly examine the writing of others. I think it's fair to say that everyone who's been regularly posting on the FWU forum is a better writer than 90% of the dang internet. Even sites like Huffington Post and the "big ones" have some pretty lousy stuff.

So congrats, and welcome to the 10%! haha

My biggest struggle is marketing myself, though. And I think that a large part of that is not having the time to do it. When I first started freelancing, I had a schedule. During the day, I'd work. Then after the kids went to bed is when I'd do my marketing. But that didn't work. Most of my clients are in the US, Canada and the UK, and it didn't take me long to realize that I was applying to jobs while these people were fast asleep.

So I changed my strategy a bit, and was able to amass quite a few long term clients by applying to jobs while it was still daylight in their timezone.

The problem with that is that with a few of those clients, it's necessary to work on their hours, or at the very least communicate then. So that leaves me with no set time to apply for jobs or work on other marketing strategies.

Thankfully, I've got an arsenal of absolutely brilliant clients and frankly I don't have time to take on new jobs right now. My dance card is full with the ones I've got. But during the fall I anticipate that changing, so I've got to figure something out soon!
You will always find an answer in the sound of water.

~Chuang-Tse