What Does Freelancing Mean to You?

Reviews, discussions and complaints about freelancing platforms. Do you prefer Upwork or Guru? Do you have an issue with Fiverr? Do you need some advice getting jobs on Upwork?

Moderator: Shana

MegStewart

What Does Freelancing Mean to You?

Post by MegStewart » Wed May 17, 2017 3:52 pm

We had a question from new member who isn't familiar at all with the term "freelancing". I thought it would make a good thread if we all talked about what the term "freelancing" means to us.

To me, "freelancing" for me means that I get to choose what projects I work for, what clients I work with, and when and how I work.

What does freelancing mean to you?

PJ (Admin)

Re: What Does Freelancing Mean to You?

Post by PJ (Admin) » Wed May 17, 2017 4:57 pm

To me, freelancing means endless hours, endless stress, but complete freedom and contacts that can open so many doors. Webmasters, SEO companies, publishers, agents, film producers, comic book publishers, internet celebrities--I've worked for so many different people and have learned a lot from each of them.

So, it's stressful, but it's worth it in the end.
P. J. Aitken. FWU Founder. Author of The Online Writer's Companion. Ask me a question using the Ask FWU forum.

Shana

Post by Shana » Thu May 18, 2017 12:56 pm

A combination of the both. Freelancing isn't really choosing when to work, because I work about 15 hours a day. But yup. Choosing who I work with, choosing to take a day off if I feel like I can swallow the income loss, and being responsible for my own earnings. If I don't work, I don't get paid.

I've also got a habit of leaving projects half finished. I'll get bored listening to myself type about, say, cell phones. I'll switch to a different project for a while and come back to it later. Not having someone breathing down my back is one of the best things about the job.
You will always find an answer in the sound of water.

~Chuang-Tse

Karen

Post by Karen » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:03 pm

Freelancing to me is being able to do the work I want to do, when I want to do it, and pretty much how I do it. I can do it in my PJs late at night, or in the nearby coffee shop first thing in the morning. I want to travel more so this is the perfect option for me.

PJ (Admin)

Post by PJ (Admin) » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:10 pm

Karen wrote:
> Freelancing to me is being able to do the work I want to do, when I want to
> do it, and pretty much how I do it. I can do it in my PJs late at night, or
> in the nearby coffee shop first thing in the morning. I want to travel more
> so this is the perfect option for me.

I actually know someone who does this and lives a nomad lifestyle. No home, just constant 4/5 star hotels and resorts around the world. He makes a lot of money from websites and digital marketing as well, but same idea. Personally, I've never been able to blend the two. I did once finish a novel in a Berlin hotel room, but it came close to ruining my holiday. And my relationship.

The words, "I can't sightsee today, I have to work" don't go down too well with my other half.
P. J. Aitken. FWU Founder. Author of The Online Writer's Companion. Ask me a question using the Ask FWU forum.

Karen

Post by Karen » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:20 pm

PJ (Admin) wrote:
> Karen wrote:
> > Freelancing to me is being able to do the work I want to do, when I want to
> > do it, and pretty much how I do it. I can do it in my PJs late at night, or
> > in the nearby coffee shop first thing in the morning. I want to travel more
> > so this is the perfect option for me.
>
> I actually know someone who does this and lives a nomad lifestyle. No home, just
> constant 4/5 star hotels and resorts around the world. He makes a lot of money from
> websites and digital marketing as well, but same idea. Personally, I've never been
> able to blend the two. I did once finish a novel in a Berlin hotel room, but it came
> close to ruining my holiday. And my relationship.
>
> The words, "I can't sightsee today, I have to work" don't go down too well
> with my other half.

I don't know if I could do it long term. I'd like that option though that I'd be able to go to Florida and see friends when the weather gets cold here. I have friends throughout Canada that I'd love to visit too. I'm hopeful I can make it work in the near future.