Another Facebook success story

Give praise to a particular client, freelancer or service, or vent about a project gone wrong. All freelancers have them, and telling other freelancers about them can be a good way to vent your anger and frustration.

Moderator: Shana

Another Facebook success story

Post by Shana » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:40 pm

First of all, hi! I've been reading all your messages and keeping up with your posts. It's so great to see some new "faces" on the forum, and I'm thrilled to have you all interacting. So exciting - there aren't many people in my small circle of friends who can relate to what I do.

But I've got another Facebook story to share with you, and this one's been a week coming. I guess I'm a member of about 38563847 Facebook groups, and some of you may have seen me post about this forum in a few of them. There are two or three which I regularly post to - some of the writers on those pages are so clever, and they're a great resource. It's also fun to read their work when they post it. They sometimes ask for suggestions or feedback, and I feel like I'm reading a book before it's been published. Feels like I've got superstar status.

Anyway, I'll be honest. I have nooooo idea how it happened but last Saturday I was messing around on Facebook mobile and I got a ping from someone in one of my writer groups. Hadn't ever heard of this guy before. Now, a lot of times when I get messages from people looking for writers on Facebook, they offer me a nice hefty sum of, say, 1,000 Rs for 4,000 words. No go.

This guy, however, owns a HUGE website. The category is sort of a bargain-finding, penny pinching type of thing. Well, as a broke writer, this happens to be something I'm quite familiar with. He asked me if I'd be willing to help him to create 5 posts each week for his website. I agreed, and quoted him a price. Do you know what he said?

"That's too low."

Oh my gods.

So anyway, we agreed on a rate, and we're now in our second week. He's tasked me with a few other small posting jobs, but he's paid in advance for each of them and so far we've had no issues.

The moral of this story is this: If you speak and act like a professional person, people will find you. Use all the resources you've got to find work, because it's out there. And sometimes, if you're lucky, good work will just fall in your lap.
You will always find an answer in the sound of water.