Why I had to delay my book launch.

Give praise to a particular client, freelancer or service, or vent about a project gone wrong. All freelancers have them, and telling other freelancers about them can be a good way to vent your anger and frustration.

Moderator: Shana

Sam.C.

Why I had to delay my book launch.

Post by Sam.C. » Thu May 11, 2017 2:24 am

At the beginning of April, I decided that I should go back and delay my book.There were many factors why, but in the end, it was feedback from a very late beta-reader. She came to me, within ten days of my book going to print and said I don't think your book is ready for publication. I have a publisher, an editor had gone through my book, and we have done the usual chatting back and forth, in my mind it was ready. That was the issue.

In my mind, sometimes it is best to listen to these outside influences and stop, take a deep breath and look at your book in a different light. How I did, it was recording me reading my book.That was a shock, picture a white void with a voice overhead telling you stuff, that is what my first chapter felt like.

I am glad that I stop, breathed and evaluated my book, as being my first it needs to be at a certain standard, and not rubbish!

Jade

Re: Why I had to delay my book launch.

Post by Jade » Thu May 11, 2017 2:30 am

ha. My first book was a kindle ebook. i sold it for .99, and it was absolute crap. i think i sold about 5 copies of the damn thing, and had no idea why.
i actually had a few people on facebook writers groups look it over for me, and they told me that it was terrible. even knocked the hell out of the cover artwork.
lesson learned, i guess. write drunk, edit sober.
also, you're never quite as good as you think you are.

Sam.C.

Post by Sam.C. » Thu May 11, 2017 2:36 am

I will remember that write drunk, edit sober! Artwork can be a big blow too, that is one thing I am happy with is my front cover. I am so passionate about my book and world that I just want it to be out there! Right NoW!!! But Re-writes are hard and tedious, I will power through, and my book will be released.

Have you published anymore books?

Jade

Post by Jade » Thu May 11, 2017 2:48 am

yes, quite a few, actually. they all do better than that one. even the ones i only sold 20 copies of lol

Sam.C.

Post by Sam.C. » Thu May 11, 2017 2:52 am

Jade, you are my new inspiration!

PJ (Admin)

Post by PJ (Admin) » Thu May 11, 2017 12:58 pm

These things happen and they can be difficult to deal with when they do, but you're always better for it. I thought one of my recent novels was ready, only for the editor to ask me to change the ending and to create a few themes that ran throughout the book. It wasn't what I wanted to hear at the time, but deep down I knew she was right and was just waiting for that kick up the arse to force me to do it.

I think that's why most publishing houses start the editing process so early. That book was released last October and it went to print last August, but that first read and those initial requests came in February. The only thing more annoying than having to pick a manuscript apart at the last minute is to see it get published and know it's not your best work.
P. J. Aitken. FWU Founder. Author of The Online Writer's Companion. Ask me a question using the Ask FWU forum.