Upwork Fees

Reviews, discussions and complaints about freelancing platforms. Do you prefer Upwork or Guru? Do you have an issue with Fiverr? Do you need some advice getting jobs on Upwork?

Moderator: Shana

PJ (Admin)

Upwork Fees

Post by PJ (Admin) » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:33 pm

Just wondering what everyone thinks of Upwork's "new" fees. Has the 20% made you think twice, or do you prefer the fact that you can now reduce those fees to as little as 5%?

I had already established my account when the changes were made and most of my clients had passed that 5% threshold, so I actually benefited. But it has made me think twice about accepting new jobs through the platform.
P. J. Aitken. FWU Founder. Author of The Online Writer's Companion. Ask me a question using the Ask FWU forum.

Shana

Re: Upwork Fees

Post by Shana » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:47 pm

Only a small part of my work is done on Upwork. I have two regular clients on the platform, and one or two who pop their heads in every now and then. With both of the regular clients, I'm at the 10% level now, but when I was at 20% it really took a toll on my bank account.
I've got a lot of relationships with clients who aren't on ANY platform, which has its own benefits. It's also got the hassle of billing, though.
You will always find an answer in the sound of water.

~Chuang-Tse

MegStewart

Post by MegStewart » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:09 pm

I have to agree about the pay structure in Upwork. I don't mind paying the 10% fee in exchange for not having to worry about billing and invoicing. I think 20% is too high. The fee structure then doesn't change again unless you make 10,000 from the SAME client--I think very few individuals will reach that level. I have just a few clients left via Upwork and I'm really hesitant to take on any new ones through that platform. I've actually had really good luck having people find me via comments I've made in different Facebook groups, so no fees involved other than a minimal fee via paypal.

Karen

Post by Karen » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:01 pm

I've only browsed Upwork to see what kind of jobs are available. The fees do scare me a little bit as do all the stories I read about people getting banned.

MegStewart

Post by MegStewart » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:57 pm

No need to be "scared" of the fees. They are pretty clear cut. It's 20% of every job until you have worked with a client long enough to where the total they have paid you is above $500. As for getting banned, that only happens if you don't follow the rules. Basically, don't take any payment outside of the Upwork system. That's the biggest rule. I've worked on Upwork in some capacity for more than five years now, never had a problem. If a client immediately starts trying to communicate outside of Upwork--google, skype, etc. then they are probably going to try and go around the system. Just don't accept those projects. There is money there to be made. I recently learned you can also choose to look at U.S. only projects which helps for me.

PJ (Admin)

Post by PJ (Admin) » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:27 am

Yeah, no need to worry about being banned. I was once suspended through no fault of my own, purely because they tagged a recent client as suspicious and decided that I should be suspended as well until they cleared it up (great logic). But as frustrating as that was, it didn't last more than a couple weeks.

In my experience, things can go wrong and it is frustrating when they do. But most people are banned because they broke the rules, even though they don't want to admit it. I've had conversations with people who were adamant that they had been wronged and that Upwork was somehow rigged against them. But on further digging, I've found out they broke every single rule in the book.
P. J. Aitken. FWU Founder. Author of The Online Writer's Companion. Ask me a question using the Ask FWU forum.

Bryantxere

Upwork Fees

Post by Bryantxere » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:21 pm

It is true that your profile need some adjustment, but you should be able to apply for job.

There is a UpWork Readiness test, have you done that?

Have you tried to contact the live support about this issue?